Running seems like an environmentally friendly sport as you’re just using your two legs to get from point A to point B, but one’s actions during runs can have a devastating impact on the carbon impact on the environment.
Your carbon impact is the sum of all emissions of CO2 (carbon dioxide), which are induced by your activities in a given time frame.
These actions can also include runners not disposing of their waste properly while running.
Please consider the environment and take action – While races are looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint, runners can also do their part.
Here are a few ideas on being an eco-friendly runner and some actions that can assist with running clean.
TAKE ACTION – RUN CLEAN – DO NOT LITTER
- Please DO NOT LITTER by just dropping your water / energy sachet/s on the road or on the pavement.
- Please take care where you dispose of the corner stub of the water sachet.
- WPA events are supported by Kohlerbox, who provide boxes where one can put their litter in. Please be on the look-out for one and dispose of your sachet in the Kohlerbox provided or carry the sachet till you can throw it away.
- Ditch single-use bottles in favour of reusable ones.
- Buy bulk packages of sports drinks or powdered mix to reduce plastic bottles.
- Recycle used running shoes.
- Recycle or donate old running clothes.
- Buy gear that is recyclable or made with recycled materials.
- These seem like small steps, but when you think about the tens of thousands of people that can compete in a single race it can make a big difference.