WESTERN PROVINCE ATHLETICS: MASTERS
Application for Afilliation to SAMA 2016
- Was established in 1975 by Leo Benning;
- Has its own constitution and bye-laws;
- Affiliated to Western Province Athletics (W.P.A.);
- Affiliated to South African Masters Athletics(S.A.M.A.);
- S.A.M.A. is an associate member of Athletics South Africa (A.S.A.);
- S.A.M.A. is affiliated to Africa Masters Athletics Association(A.M.A.A.) and World Masters Athletics (W.M.A.);
- W.M.A. is affiliated to the International Amateur Athletics Federation (I.A.A.F.)
- Spectrum of Events:
||Hurdles: (80/100/110/200/300/400m) & Steeple-Chase:(2000/3000m)
||Jumps: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Pole Vault
||Throws: Hammer Throw, Shot Put, Discus Throw, Javelin Throw, Weight Throw
Throwing Pentathlon, Heptathlon and Decathlon
Road Walk :10 & 20km – Women and Men
Women and Men : 30 years plus [Local,(i.e. club) Provincial, National and Regional (Africa)]
- Five year intervals 30 - 34 / 35 - 39 / 40 - 44 / 75 - 79 etc.
- World Championships participation : Women and Men : 35 years +
- Standards of Performance
Provincial Colours : criteria per age-group and event (30 yrs plus)
National Colours : criteria per age-group and event (35 yrs plus)
- Membership Fees:
Membership of WP Masters is automatic (hence no charge) subject to purchase of the annual ASA licence no. Athlete must be 30 years or older. SAMA membership (R140.00 per annum) (2015). SAMA membership not compulsory unless athlete wants to participate in interprovincials, national, regional or world championships and/or applies for SAMA record and/or national colours.
- Why join?
- Being active, getting fit and staying healthy
- Age-grouping is unique (5 year intervals)
- Age-graded tables
- Local competition
- Interprovincial competition
- National competition (S.A. Championships)
- Regional Competition (Africa Championships)
- International competition (World Championships)
- Medals awarded for first three places in provincial championships (Track & Field)
- Provincial Colours
- National Colours
WP Masters 2016 Commission Members
Honorary Life Members
Criteria for Provincial Colours (Track and Field)
To achieve WP Masters Provincial Colours for a specific season, an athlete must be 30 years or older and the holder of an ASA Licence at a registered WP Club FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR. The period of assessment will be run annually from the first day of the South African Masters Athletics (SAMA) Championships up to and including the last Western Province Masters Athletics meeting before the following SAMA Championship. e.g. from the SAMA Championships on 15 May 2015 up to and including the last Leo Benning meeting on 16 April 2016. In addition the athlete must have:
- Equalled or bettered a WP Colours Standard at least five times (without undue wind assistance i.e. more than 2m/s) which may be either in the same event or a total of five times in different events a) The attainment of TWO National Colours Standards (irrespective of wind) will be equivalent to FIVE WP Colours Standards. b) The attainment of ONE National Colours Standard (irrespective of wind) will be equivalent to TWO WP Colours Standards.
- Participated in at least three meetings exclusively for masters athletes, (e.g. Leo Benning Series) one of which must be the current season’s WP Masters Championships (unless they cannot participate due to genuine injury or illness). Provincial Colours will be awarded after the last WP Masters Athletic meeting, i.e. just prior to the SAMA Championships each year.
Application Form WP Colours 2016
Important Information for WP Colours Application 2016
WPMA Colours Standards Men 2015
WPMA Colours Standards Women 2015
Club colours, licence numbers and age-group tags (front and back) are to be worn at all meetings in the Western Province, including the WP Masters Championships. When taking part in Provincial Masters Championships outside the W.P., the following applies: WPA: Masters provincial colours must be worn only by those who were awarded their colours for the current season, i.e. after the last WPA: Masters Champs. Those who didn’t qualify for a particular season must cover their provincial badge with their licence number or age-group tag, but must still wear their blue shorts and blue/white running vests to identify the province they representing.
AWARDS OF NATIONAL COLOURS
THE AWARD OF NATIONAL COLOURS IS THE HIGHEST DISTINCTION TO BE AWARDED AND IS AN HONOUR WHICH MUST BE EARNED ACCORDING TO SPECIFIC CRITERIA AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS IN MASTERS ATHLETICS AS DETERMINED BY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE FROM TIME TO TIME.
- No recommendation shall be considered unless the performance claimed has been achieved by an athlete duly registered with SAMA at the time of the performance.
- A minimum of two (2) years paid-up membership of S.A. Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.).
- No recommendation shall be considered unless the candidate has already displayed a positive attitude and behaviour towards Masters Athletics.
- Formal application on the prescribed form must be made by the province to which the athlete belongs. By submitting the application the province concerned affirms that it fully supports the award of national colours to the athlete.
- For consideration it is required that the candidate has reached the standard twice, whether twice in the same event, or once each in two different events. In this case of the Decathlon and Heptathlon, the standard need only be attained once. The standard(s) must have been achieved during the duration of a specific age group, i.e. M40-44 or W55-59 (five year intervals).
- National colours can only be awarded once per age group.
- After an athlete has resigned membership from SAMA and/or has discontinued or interrupted their SAMA membership (e.g. injury, relocation overseas, etc.) the athlete must again complete another two years of uninterrupted membership before they will be considered for national colours, first time award or re-award.
No SAMA record will be recognized unless the athlete is a paid-up member of SAMA at the time of the record application.
A re-award of national colours can only be awarded once per age group and all the prerequisites, i.e.1 to 7 will again apply.
THE 2012 - 2016 NATIONAL COLOURS STANDARDS SHALL BE USED AS THE BASIS FOR ASSESSMENT FOR THE AWARD OF NATIONAL COLOURS FOR 2013 (DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS 31 JANUARY 2014)
National Colour Standards Men
National Colour Standards Women
S.A.M.A. National Colour Standards - Info Re-Assessment Procedures
To qualify for a championship medal, an athlete must equal or better a set standard at the championships.
SAMA Medal Stds Men 01 March(2)
SAMA Medal Stds Women 01 March(1)
|Leo Benning No.1
|World Masters Athletics Champs
||26 October - 6 November
|Free State Champs
|Leo Benning No. 2
|Leo Benning No.3
|Leo Benning No.4
||16 - 18 March
|World Masters Athletics Indoor Champs
||Deagu, South Korea
|Leo Benning No.5
||4 - 6 May
||Green Point, Cape Town
Leo Benning Masters Challenge 2016/2017
SAMA Championship 2016 Entry Form
SAMA Championship 2016 Program
SAMA Order Form 2016
SA Athletics Booklet 02
SWD Masters Athletics Championship Entry Form
SWD Masters Athletics Championships Rules
Program - 3 September 2016
Verblyfplekke in en om Oudtshoorn
WP Masters Standards Qualifiers 2016
SA Records - Mens (June 2016)
SA Records - Women (June 2016)
Results LBMC No 2, 14 November 2015
Results LBMC No 3, 16 January 2016
Results LBMC No 4, 20 February 2016
Results LBMC No 5, 16 April 2016
WP Masters Records Open Feb 2016
WPAM Championship 2016 Results
Results SA Masters Championships 2016, Pilditch, Pretoria
Leo Benning Masters Challenge 2016-2017
WP All-Comers Records
WP Domestic Records
Results LBMC No.124 Oct 15
South African Masters Athletics Men
South African Masters Athletics Standards Women
WPMA Colours Recipients 2015
WP Records Dec 2013