WESTERN PROVINCE ATHLETICS : MASTERS
1.1. Was established in 1975 by Leo Benning;
1.2. Has its own constitution and bye-laws;
1.3. Affiliated to Western Province Athletics (W.P.A.);
1.4. Affiliated to South African Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.);
1.5. S.A.M.A. is an associate member of Athletics South Africa (A.S.A.);
1.6. S.A.M.A. is affiliated to Africa Masters Athletics Association(A.M.A.A.) and World Masters Athletics (W.M.A.);
1.7.W.M.A. is affiliated to the International Amateur Athletics Federation (I.A.A.F.)
2.Spectrum of Events:
Track: Sprints: 100/200/400m,
Hurdles: (80/100/110/200/300/400m) & Steeple-Chase: (2000/3000m)
Field: Jumps: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump, Pole Vault
Throws: Hammer Throw, Shot Put, Discus Throw, Javelin
Throw, Weight Throw
Throwing Pentathlon, Heptathlon and Decathlon
Non-Stadia Road Walk :10 & 20km – Women and Men
Age Groupings: Women and Men : 30 years plus [Local,(i.e. club) Provincial, National and Regional (Africa)]
• Five year intervals 30 - 34 / 35 - 39 / 40 - 44 / 75 - 79 etc.
• World Championships participation : Women and Men : 35 years +
3. Standards of Performance
Provincial Colours : criteria per age-group and event (30 yrs plus)
National Colours : criteria per age-group and event (35 yrs plus)
4. Membership Fees:
Membership of WP Masters is automatic (hence no charge) subject to
purchase of the annual ASA licence no. Athlete must be 30 years or
older. SAMA membership (R100.00 per annum) (2013). SAMA membership not
compulsory unless athlete wants to participate in interprovincials,
national, regional or world championships and/or applies for SAMA record
and/or national colours.
5. Why join?
5.1. Being active, getting fit and staying healthy
5.3. Age-grouping is unique (5 year intervals)
5.4. Age-graded tables
5.5. Local competition
5.6. Interprovincial competition
5.7. National competition (S.A. Championships)
5.8. Regional Competition (Africa Championships)
5.9. International competition (World Championships)
5.10. Medals awarded for first three places in provincial championships (Track & Field)
5.11. Provincial Colours
5.12. National Colours
WPA Masters application form (01/01/ 2013 - 31/12/2013)
WP Masters 2013 Commission Members
083 693 0825
083 272 7100
|Vice Chairperson||Edgar Figland
||021 952 5633
|Secretary||Thalena Van Zyl ||073 923 firstname.lastname@example.org|
083 284 4676
082 740 1561
083 343 4021
084 953 4363
084 528 2855
|Aletta Du Toit||083 366 email@example.com|
|Edgar Figland||021 952 5633||Beverley.firstname.lastname@example.org|
Honorary Life Members
|| Anna Villet
Revised 13 Nov 2012 Clive Truter program "Clive Truter memorial series"
Revised 2013 Clive Truter program
WPA Masters Champs entry form
WPA Senior Masters Champs Timetable
SA General Info
SA Masters Athletics Entry Form 2013
SA Masters Program 2013
Western Province Athletics: Masters (WPA: MAsters)
Criteria for Provincial Colours (Track and Field)
To achieve WPA: Masters provincial colours for a specific season, an athlete must be 30 years or older and a ASA Licence holder of a registered WP Club FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR. The period of assessment will be determined annually from the first day of the South African Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.) Championships up to and including the last day of the Western Province Masters Athletics Championships the following year, e.g. from the S.A.M.A. Champs 29 April 2011 up to and including the WP Masters Champs on 17 March 2012 and so on.
The athlete must have:
1. equalled or bettered the standards at least five times which may be either in the same event or a total of five times in different events;
2. participated in at least three meetings exclusively for masters athletes, (e.g. Clive Truter Series) one of which must be the current season’s WPA: Masters Championships, that is, unless he/she cannot participate due to injury or illness. Provincial Colours will be awarded after the WPA: Masters Athletic Championships, i.e. just prior to the S.A.M.A. Championships each year.
Club colours, licence numbers and age-group tags (front and back) are to be worn at all meetings in the Western Province, including the WP Masters Championships. When taking part in Provincial Masters Championships outside the W.P., the following applies: WPA: Masters provincial colours must be worn only by those who were awarded their colours for the current season, i.e. after the last WPA: Masters Champs. For provincial tracksuits / colours please contact Alan Nelson 083 2727100. Those who didn’t qualify for a particular season must cover their provincial badge with their licence number or age-group tag, but must still wear their blue shorts and blue/white running vests to identify the province they representing.
AWARDS OF NATIONAL COLOURS
THE AWARD OF NATIONAL COLOURS IS THE HIGHEST DISTINCTION TO BE AWARDED AND IS AN HONOUR WHICH MUST BE EARNED ACCORDING TO SPECIFIC CRITERIA AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS IN MASTERS ATHLETICS AS DETERMINED BY THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE FROM TIME TO TIME.
1. No recommendation shall be considered unless the performance claimed has been achieved by an athlete duly registered with SAMA at the time of the performance.
2. A minimum of two (2) years paid-up membership of S.A. Masters Athletics (S.A.M.A.).
3. No recommendation shall be considered unless the candidate has already displayed a positive attitude and behaviour towards Masters Athletics.
4. Formal application on the prescribed form must be made by the province to which the athlete belongs. By submitting the application the province concerned affirms that it fully supports the award of national colours to the athlete.
5. For consideration it is required that the candidate has reached the standard twice, whether twice in the same event, or once each in two different events. In this case of the Decathlon and Heptathlon, the standard need only be attained once. The standard(s) must have been achieved during the duration of a specific age group, i.e. M40-44 or W55-59 (five year intervals).
6. National colours can only be awarded once per age group.
7. After an athlete has resigned membership from SAMA and/or has discontinued or interrupted their SAMA membership (e.g. injury, relocation overseas, etc.) the athlete must again complete another two years of uninterrupted membership before they will be considered for national colours first time award or re-award.
NB. No SAMA record will be recognized unless the athlete is a paid-up member of SAMA at the time of the record application.
A re-award of national colours can only be awarded once per age group and all the prerequisites, i.e.1 to 7 will again apply.
THE 2012 - 2016 NATIONAL COLOURS STANDARDS SHALL BE USED AS THE BASIS FOR ASSESSMENT FOR THE AWARD OF NATIONAL COLOURS FOR 2013 (DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS 31 JANUARY 2013).
National Colours Standards men
National Colours Standards women
To qualify for a championship medal, an athlete must equal or better a set standard at the championships.
- WPA Masters medal standards
- SAMA medal standards
SAMA medal standards men
SAMA medal standards women